If you usually get your mushrooms by foraging, you should know that it’s important that you are careful at what mushrooms you’re getting. Many mushroom varieties are medicinal and edible.
However, you should also know that there are also so many types that are dangerous as they contain poison. Some of these poisonous mushrooms even look like edible ones.
Here are some of the common varieties of poisonous mushrooms that you may find in the woods. Better to take this Guide to Common Poisonous Plants and Mushrooms book with you to be safe.
If you enjoy eating mushrooms, then chances are you most likely love the type called Morels. It is tender and full of flavor. Whenever it’s springtime, you can easily find Morels growing around dead trees. But you have to be careful, too, because there are mushrooms called False Morels. False Morels is a category that includes a number of poisonous mushrooms that look like Morels.
Eating a False Morel won’t cause death for all those who ingest them. There are even people who forage for these False Morels and then cook and eat them just like Morels. But this does not mean that you should do the same.
Some False Morels contain a higher poison concentration than others. Also, some people are more tolerant of the poison. If you are sensitive to the poison of False Morels, you can suffer from vomiting and diarrhea, which can cause dehydration and death.
This particular mushroom is known for its orange color. The Jack O’Lantern is also poisonous, and they have gills and thrive in groups. You can tell them apart from Chanterelles because of the gills. The Chanterelles, which look so much like Jack O’Lantern mushrooms, do not have gills, which are edible.
It’s rare to hear about people dying because of eating Jack O’Lantern mushrooms. However, it still necessary to be careful because you wouldn’t want to suffer from any complications because of its poison. If you can’t tell the Jack O’Lantern mushrooms from the Chanterelles, look for the gills. The Jack O’Lantern mushroom also glows in the dark, unlike Chanterelles.
The Destroying Angel mushroom is white and has a thick stem with a bulbous cap. They almost look like Puffball mushrooms. To tell them apart, look the gills and the white stem of the Destroying Angel mushroom. Take note that its gills are not connecting to its stem. They have a broken membrane found at the stem’s base.
Be careful of Destroying Angel mushrooms because they are highly poisonous. There have been so many cases of deaths because of people ingesting them. The treatment for the poison is difficult to come by. The poison can take effect within five hours after ingesting it. At such time, there could be irreversible damage to the kidneys and liver of the person who has eaten a Destroying Angel mushroom.
Death Cap Mushrooms
Just from the name itself, the Death Cap mushroom is very poisonous. While it’s said to be tasty, just a few bites can kill you. You won’t notice the symptoms after one to two days after eating it. Nevertheless, you can die within one week. Death Cap mushrooms are known to have a cap that’s round and silver while its stem is pure white. They are usually found under shrubs and bushes, growing close to the ground.
This type of poisonous mushroom is particularly deadly since they thrive in cities and urban environments. Unlike most poisonous plants, Death Cap mushrooms are not bitter. That’s why some people think it’s not harmful to eat it. But once you’ve eaten it, the symptoms will start appearing, and there’s already irreversible damage to your organs.
It’s vital to know what edible mushrooms are and which ones are poisonous. Having this knowledge about poisonous mushrooms can save your life. A good rule of thumb when gathering mushroom is to get it only if you are sure of its variety. If you are doubtful in any way, it’s best to leave it.